Sunday, November 29, 2009

The WSRY DX Test

I didn't try for the WSRY-1550 DX Test on November 29 as they are a semi-local for me. But it did bring back memories of WSRY, which I remember as WSER. I grew up in the Elkton, Maryland area, living in Elkton from 1991-1998. WSER is the other station in Elkton besides WOEL-89.9, where I worked from 1986-1998. WSER was never a great station but they were a local station that made some effort to serve the Elkton area. I can remember the famous "snow days" when I was a boy, when we would all tune into either WSER or WASA-1330 in Havre de Grace to see if the schools were closed.

WSER suffered the fate of many small town stations, and would up being just another ESPN relay. But the recent DX test did bring back those memories and considerations of what it might have been if it had local ownership committed to local service.

No comments: